Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Welcome to the Cuteness of Kawaii


Thanks for stopping by our kawaii blog! :-) You may be wondering to yourself, "What the heck is kawaii, anyway?" Kawaii is the Japanese word for cute. It is pronounced kah-wah-ee. Cuteness started to become a prominent aspect of Japanese culture back in the 1970s and is more popular than ever these days in entertainment, clothing, food, toys, personal appearance and style.

My fascination with Japanese kawaii began as a child living in Okinawa, Japan. I loved the cuteness of all the Sanrio characters like Hello Kitty, My Melody, Keroppi and Little Twin Stars as well as the whole Monchichi cast of characters. The Japanese could make the most random things like candy, erasers, pencils and pens uber cute. And I was crazy about those things. The simplicity of style was and still is very intriguing and appealing to me as a graphic designer. I love creating kawaii inspired designs and hope you will love seeing them just as much.

My name is Debbie and my shop is The Spotted Olive™ where I have a section called "kawaii goodies" dedicated to my kawaii inspired designs. Partnered with Marianne from Mega Kawaii™, this blog will feature both of our kawaii designs as well as other cute and fun stuff from around the web! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment